"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Buttermilk Biscuits

I like to use buttermilk for many things. It makes a great pie and it also makes wonderful , tall, fluffy, biscuits. Following the recipe below, place your biscuit dough on a floured surface and pat into a square that is about 2 inches high. Cut with a knife into 9 sections. Dip the biscuits into butter before placing them onto the baking sheet............

and you will have a plate of tall, fluffy, biscuits

perfect for morning breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
Also, in baking, I always use a lot of eggs and rely on my chickens to produce them for me. Sometimes, my chickens hide the eggs and I don't discover a nest for a week or two. I don't want to throw all of those eggs away.........yet I don't want bad eggs.
If you visit my country blog, you can find out how to tell a good egg.........from a bad one.
Just click onto this link


Buttermilk Biscuits
2 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. salt
1 stick cold butter, diced into small chunks
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 F. spray pan lightly with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt until mixed. Add cold butter chunks and using a pastry blender, mix until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Fold in the buttermilk until a dough forms.
Sprinkle flour on to your work space and turn dough out on to it.
Lightly work dough into a square that is about 2 inches high.
Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut 9 squares.
Melt 1/4 cup of butter and roll biscuits in the butter and then place them on baking sheet.
Bake in oven for about  11 to 12 minutes until light golden brown. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sally said...

Now, all I need is buttermilk. :)

Marianne said...

This sounds so yummy! And I'd really like to make the butter with whipping cream and then use the buttermilk for the recipe, too. When I make butter (rarely, but on occasion), I love to drink the buttermilk - it's so delicious.

Thank you for the recipe, Kathleen. Hope you are well..sending hugs and love,

Marianne

Jennifer Gail said...

I love cutting out biscuits with a pizza cutter too. No waste