"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A shelf in my kitchen is filled with vintage cookbooks that I collect..........

some of them are from the 30s

but most of them are from the 40s and 50s. 

I not only love them for the recipes, but for the extra ideas and help pages that are in most. Some books have instructions on how to set a pretty table .......for just the family, or for a large group.
I not only collect the cookbooks, but at least once a month, I pick out a recipe from one of the books.......
buy the ingredients.......
and cook or bake it for my family........
who sometimes will try it ........and like it.........
and sometimes........they wont even try a spoonful.......
but that is okay......
I want to try it!
I love the graphics from this time period as well. 
My most favorite cookbooks are those that have a story from the author........
about their life growing up or about the particular recipe printed.
The recipe above is from a collection of magazine cut outs.......pasted into a spiral........
that I found in an estate sale.
It is dated 1950 and it states
" Ann Pillsbury's Elegant But Simple Recipe"
I will post the recipe at the end of this post.
How about you?
Do you collect recipes or cookbooks?
What time period do you like most?
Do you try the recipes? Did you or your family like it?
Here is the recipe..........enjoy!




5 comments:

Karen said...

I love old cookbooks and recipes, too. It looks like you have a very nice collection of them, Kathleen. Thank you for the peach cake recipe!

Marianne said...

This sounds so yummy! I love old cookbooks, too. My mother told me that she had a cookbook that was so old the recipes used "pinch of ...", "dash of...", and 'handful of...' She never could find it, and thought my dad must have thrown it away in one of his cleansing of the basement rooms. I think it always bothered her because she'd mention it on occasion.

Thank you for sharing. I'm off to eat some dinner now. I wish I had the peach meringue cake for dessert..Mmmm...

Hugs and love,
Marianne

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love old cook books. It's so interesting to read the recipes and try some out. Enjoyed your posting!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love old cookbooks and their recipes. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

Janet, said...

Oh my! I also collect cookbooks. Some of the old ones are really neat. But, I have to admit, some of the recipes don't sound very good. But, then again, some of them sound delicious. I think it is great that you get them out and cook a dish from them each month. I think most of mine are from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I also like the photos in them. I look for pics where the recipes are on vintage Fiestaware dishes (something else that I love and used to collect).