"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

I love fried green tomatoes. They are so easy to make and so delicious. The only thing hard about them............is trying to find green tomatoes. This past week, while walking through a flea market, a vendor was selling these beautiful tomatoes..........along with red ones and other fruits and vegetables.

I bought about 6 and since I am the only one in my family who enjoys this treat, I usually fix one at a time. I keep the others in a bag inside of the refrigerator until I am ready to use them
If you have never tried these, go find some green tomatoes and give them a try!
Here is the easy recipe.............
 
Fried Green Tomatoes
Firm good sized green tomatoes
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 small egg
1 1/2 cups milk
salt
garlic powder
Wash tomatoes and slice off ends. Season lightly with salt and garlic powder.
In a dish or pan, pour the  milk to dip tomatoes in. Beat egg into milk until combined.
In another dish, mix  flour and cornmeal together, enough to dredge tomatoes in.
Dredge a slice of tomato into flour/cornmeal mixture, then dip into egg/milk mixture, then into flour again.  Do this with each slice.
Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in skillet on medium.  
Carefully place the tomatoes into hot oil, leaving about an inch space between the slices while frying. Fry tomatoes about 2 or 3 minutes, or until golden brown, turn over to brown the other side. Drain well on paper towels.
Serve warm with a side of ranch dressing.
Enjoy!




1 comment:

Bev said...

Those sound wonderful.. I have tried to fry green tomatoes...but never thought of the cornmeal!! I'll try them again!!