"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Cooking, Tex Mex Style.......Siesta Roast and Beans

One thing I truly love about the foods commonly found in West Texas and the Southwest region...........
are the flavors of Mexican cooking mixed with the other flavors that I love and are accustomed to in my area.
This mix of common everyday foods along with corn tortillas, cumin, chilies , and other peppers from Mexican cuisine
is what I know as TEX-MEX.
This recipe is full of wonderful Mexican flavor and is made with a common roast and red pinto beans.
                It is called "Siesta" roast and beans, because you sleep while it is cooking. When the roast is done, it is so tender and pulls apart easily.The beans are full of wonderful flavor. The roast is wonderful wrapped in a soft flour tortilla, or even better in a softened  corn tortilla that has been fried in oil for 5 seconds, topped with cheddar cheese.

 
 
Siesta Roast and Beans
1 (3-4 pound) beef chuck roast
2 cups pinto beans, uncooked
1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
salt to taste
 
 
 
Just before you are ready for bedtime, place the roast into a crock pot.
In a small bowl, combine green chilies, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic, and salt.
Spread mixture on top of surface of roast. Add the 2 cups of uncooked pinto beans.
Add enough water to cover entire contents. Place lid on crock pot and cook on low for 12 hours. 
 
 
 
When beans and roast are done. Lift roast out of beans, place onto plate, and with 2 forks, shred the roast. Spoon the roast, along with cheese or other toppings, into hot tortilla and enjoy with beans.
 
 
You can also make Flautas with the corn tortillas and roast.
Flautas are just like tacos, but rolled up. Fry corn tortillas in one inch of oil for 5 seconds on each side. to soften the tortilla. Drain on paper towel. Place meat on one side of tortilla, sprinkle with onion, cheese, or leave plain. Roll up jellyroll fashion and place seam side down. Fry once more in oil for 1-2 minutes until crisp.
This dinner is delicious with a side of guacamole and Spanish rice. For a wonderful Spanish rice recipe of mine, click onto this link.
Spanish Rice
Enjoy!
 

5 comments:

Country Gal said...

Looks Yummy ! never tried this before ! Thanks for sharing the recipe ! Have a good day !

Magnolia Tea said...

Oh my, I'm a Tex-Mex fan, and this recipe does sound delicious! I need a chuck roast, like now. I didn't know about your cooking blog so thank you for mentioning it on your other blog. I love cooking, too, so I'm adding this one to my reader.
Have a great weekend!

LindaSue said...

that looks just yummy and Albertson's has chuck roast on sale this week - I think I know what I'm making! thanks

Celestina Marie said...

This looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I love your header too.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Agrigirl said...

This looks terrific.