"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Country Turkey Pie

Here's trusting that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with lots of love from families and friends around your table filled with delicious holiday foods. If you are like me, there is sometimes a good amount of turkey leftover.
That turkey tastes even more wonderful when it is mixed with a creamy mixture of potatoes, celery, carrots and onion, and then wrapped up and baked in a flaky golden crust.
There is nothing more of a comfort food than this!


Country Turkey Pie
Pastry ( makes 2 crusts)
2 cups flour
2/3 cups shortening plus 2 Tbs.
1 tsp. salt
Combine ingredients with pasty blender until mixture resembles crumbs. Add 6 tablespoons warm water and knead dough into ball. Separate ball into two balls for top and bottom crust.
Filling:
2 to 3 cups, cooked turkey, shredded or diced
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced carrots, cooked
1 or 2 large potatoes, peeled, diced, and cooked
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups leftover turkey broth.........or chicken broth
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
Mix turkey and vegetables together in large bowl. Set aside.
Mix flour and milk together. Heat broth to boiling, and then whisk flour/milk mixture into broth and keep whisking until mixture becomes thick. Pour broth mixture over turkey/vegetable mixture and combine well.Place pie crust into bottom of 9 inch pie pan.  Pour into prepared pie pastry. Top with remaining pie crust.  Bake in preheated oven at 350.F for 1 hour until top crust is golden. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Auntea said...

I think I know what we are having for dinner now, that pie looks delicious. I love the picture of the woman at the sink doing dishes on the side. It reminds me of my Grandmother's kitchen. She died when I was very young, but from pictures I have seen they resemble one another.

Country Gal said...

Oh the Country Turkey pie looks and sounds soo YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing the recipe ! Have a great day !

Marie said...

What a great way to use your leftover turkey. Now that I have my printed hooked up I can start copying some of these recipes! :-)