"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Two recipes for this wonderful Buttermilk pie..............

but only one is , what I consider, the true, best recipe.
I have previously, somewhere in the archives of this blog, posted a buttermilk pie recipe, and I am not sure whether it was the new one or the tried and true one that I am about to post here.
A few months ago, I was in a hurry and did not take time to find my "origional" Buttermilk pie recipe and used one that I had found quickly on the Internet. Most of the ingredients were the same, however, the cooking method was different, showing to just mix all ingredients at once and to bake at one temperature. The newest recipe turned out good, but grainy in texture. Today I returned to my origional recipe...........one that makes me remember a Great  Grandmother I really never got the chance to know.........but one that I have loving memories of because of this pie. You can read about this at my country blog by clicking onto this link
Here is the recipe for you to enjoy!
Buttermilk Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbs. flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 unbaked pie crust
In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining  1/4 cup buttermilk, mixing well. Stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425. F degrees oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350.F and bake 25 - 30 minutes longer until knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Ooh...now this sounds wonderful. Simple. Classic.
No buttermilk in the house, but I am wondering if one could substitute milk soured by a bit of lemon?

Marie said...

Kathleen,
I had never come over to your cooking blog. I tend to only cook because I have to, and really have so little joy in it anymore, I seldom try new recipes...well, you get the idea. BUT you captured me with your picture of the piece of buttermilk pie! My grandmother always knew it was my favorite and would make it for me when we came to visit. Her recipe, which is very much like this one, was passed down to my mother and then to me and now to my daughter. It is DIVINE! Thank you for sharing this today!

T's Daily Treasures said...

My ex-husband's grandmother used to make me egg custard pie -- oh my, was it ever good, especially warm from the oven. This sounds really good, too. :)

Joanne said...

Kathleen ... is it OK if I copy Grandmas Favorite Recipe to my blog. Yes I would credit it back to you. Let me know

Sarah ~ Magnolia's Attic said...

My hubby talks about a buttermilk pie he remembers from his grandmother -- I'll have to bake this one for him!

Wren said...

Looks great. The dish in the photo reminds me of my childhood. My mother had a set of dishes just like that. Great blog.