"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, March 8, 2010

When Your Nest Runneth Over

I have been getting such a large amount of fresh eggs from my hard working hens. I have been selling quite a few, but also have quite a few in the refrigerator. During this time, I have a big bake day, always making this wonderful angel food cake. It comes out so good and moist. It uses 12 egg whites..........instead of throwing out the yokes.........I make bread and cookies on that day as well. This is a recipe I always use for angel food.

Heavenly Angel Food Cake
12 egg whites at room temp.
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
Sift powdered sugar and flour together. Set aside. Add cream of tarter, salt, and extracts to egg whites. Beat on high speed. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spoon into ungreased tube pan. Bake at 350.F for 40 -45 minutes. Immediately invert pan and cool completely before removing. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kathleen,
This angel food cake sounds heavenly. I can't wait to try it. I love angel food cake. Your hens are doing a great job supplying you with eggs for baking day. That is great. I love to bake, but the eggs are expenstive. You are so blessed to have all these chickens and eggs.

Deborah said...

We have tons of eggs right now too. I wish we could eat sweets because your recipe sounds wonderful.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

Lots of fresh eggs around here too! I have started selling them to a couple teachers at school. They love 'em!

I love angel food cake.... makes me think of spring coming. With some whipped cream and fresh berries.... yum!