"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Buttermilk Pie

I only got to see my Great Grandmother, on my mother's side of the family, 3 times, when I was very small, before she passed away. The only thing I can really remember about her was how small she was, how her little house felt cozy and on one visit, she took my brother and I to her kitchen and fed us a piece of wonderful tasting pie. The years went by, as they quickly do, and in the "busyness" of my life, I never looked back to much on things like this. But as we all know..........time and memories catch up with one another........as with this pie. I was dining with my family at a Furr's Cafeteria, when I spotted this pie they had to offer. The memory of my Great Grandmother's kitchen came back to me and I had to see if this was the same pie,................it was..............and all of the sudden......it was my favorite pie.........ever. Now I make it often and it always brings back that memory of my Great Grandmother...........and the longing of wanting to know more about her.
Buttermilk Pie
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
Beat eggs until frothy; add butter, sugar and flour. Beat until smooth.
Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and nutmeg; pour into pie shell.
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until center is firm Enjoy!

7 comments:

the rusty cupboard said...

sounds wonderful

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

mmmm.. that sounds so good.

loved reading your story about how you remembered your Grandmother and her pie.
I was only 4 when my grandma passed away, but one of my memories of her was her kitchen! Isn't that funny how food and memories are so connected?
I remember coming through her mud room door into the kitchen. I was hot from playing outside and I asked her for some of her apple cider. Home-pressed ........ can't get any better then that!
Now to this day, anytime I have homemade cider, I think of her.

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

I have always wanted to bake a Buttermilk Pie. Thanks for the recipe. I made it yesterday and it is all gone. Everybody loved it. I will need to take a picture of the next one I make. My family did not give me a chance to take a pic of it.

Irma :)

W. Latane Barton said...

I have such memories of my mother making buttermilk pie. I love it. And, it's always so wonderful to remember seeing Mom busy in the kitchen. Thanks for bringing that memory back to me.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

OH Kathleen, I'm so behind catching up on my blog reading and commenting. I too have loving memories of Buttermilk pie and my mother's recipe. I love to make it! The Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle makes great Buttermilk Pie but the best is made in Ruttledge Georgia at the Yesteryear Cafe. I wish we could go on a Buttermilk pie tour together!

Pat

The Gingerbread House said...

Goodness gracious Kathleen, I'm going to be as big as a house whipping up all these delicious dishes your putting on this blog!
I never heard of a Buttermilk pie, and since I love buttermilk I've got to try it tomorrow!, I bought a half gallon this morning to make another recip, what luck...Ginny

The Gingerbread House said...

The "Buttermilk Pie" is the Bomb..it blew my mind :o) it was so delicious we ate one pie before 24 hours :o( One left and will be gone by Monday :o) I must keep some buttermilk handy at all times..Thanks Kathleen for sharing
Ginny