"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spanish Rice


For years, I have tried to make Spanish rice and it always turns out soggy and clumpy, without much flavor. After doing some research, I found out what I was doing wrong.................

I was not browning the rice before I put it into the water..................did you know to do this?? I also found a wonderful recipe in the process of this research. How about you? Have you ever made a dish and found out there was a whole other way to make it? I would love to hear! So here is the recipe.......


Spanish Rice

1 cup of rice

2 cups hot water

2 tbs. olive oil

small can of tomato sauce

1 cup chopped onion

cumin..(to your own taste)

salt to your own taste


Put the rice into a large, non stick skillet with the olive oil. Brown the rice on high heat (keep moving rice around with a wooden spoon so that it does not burn), then add 2 cups of hot water. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, reduce heat to low. Let cook for 20 minutes. Be sure to keep the lid closed during the entire 20 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Gingerbread House said...

That looks like a good dish to make anyday..Ginny