"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lemon Sauced Gingerbread

New Year morning 2010 arrived with me excited about finding something new and different to fix for our celebration meal out of the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook. I must say that since I cook all of the time, this new cooking journey I am starting, has given me a new excitement about preparing every day meals. Although I fix the same usual thing every new year, I can always add something new. My menu consisted of:
Chicken Fried Steak
Black eyed Peas (which is in the cookbook)
Yeast Dinner Rolls (also in the cookbook)
Baked Potato
Fresh Corn
Macaroni
Chocolate Devils Food Cake
and the new thing to try out of the cookbook............
Lemon Sauced Gingerbread
Even though we are familiar with gingerbread, we don't eat it that much. The idea of making a lemon flavored sauce to pour over it, made everyone.........even me.......... a little doubtful, however, it was the difference I was searching for. I am so glad I made it! Out of my family...one refused to try it....(he is the picky eater of the universe) and 2 others tried it and ate it, but really would not beg me to make it again. (They are the 2 picky eaters of the world) .......I , however, who will eat anything that does not move........loved it! The gingerbread alone is wonderful.......a great recipe, but the lemon sauce poured over it, makes it even more delicious. The cookbook states that the lemon sauce can also be poured over bread pudding............I also think it would be wonderful over ice cream! So here is the recipe for this dessert. I will be posting the black eyed pea and dinner roll recipes at a later date. Enjoy!
Lemon Sauced Gingerbread
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground cloves
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350.F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13x2 inch pan. In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, molasses, and melted butter. Add the eggs. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to sugar, molasses, butter and egg mixture. Mix well. Add the boiling water and mix thoroughly. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool If serving with Lemon Sauce, ( recipe below) , serve the gingerbread and lemon sauce slightly warm.
Lemon Sauce
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tbs. melted butter
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
dash of nutmeg
Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, and add the sugar, cornstarch, salt, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind and nutmeg; stir well. Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until well blended. If sauce is too thin, add a small amount of dissolved cornstarch. Remove from heat. Cool. Serve at room temperature.
I hope you find this to be a wonderful recipe to try. Please come back tomorrow, as I plan to make Angel Biscuits for our Saturday meal!

1 comment:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

All i have to say is ......."Yummmmmy!!!"