"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Disappointment, but a good alternative

The idea of cooking through "The Blue Willow Inn" has turned out to be a disappointment. The book is wonderful as ever, but with picky eaters that I have to cook for........I am wasting time and ingredients. No matter how great the recipe turns out, I am about the only one in this family that will try it. With this kind of situation, there is no use in me going along with this idea any longer. There are wonderful sounding recipes in the cookbook, but there are recipes such as Catfish Stew, Fatback with Gravy, Grits Lasagna, Ham Broccoli Noodle Casserole, and Liver and Onions, that my family will never, never try. So I have tossed out the idea of "cooking through a book" and instead, I will choose a cookbook out of my collection and cook something more desirable for my picky eaters out of that and then blog about it. I have over a 100 cookbooks, plus 10 years of Taste Of Home magazines put away. I know that there will be something different, yet more appetising for this group to fix. So for this year, I will be cooking through my cookbook collection one book, one recipe at a time.
But I don't want to close the Blue Willow Inn without posting this wonderful salad recipe from the book. It tastes almost like orange sherbet! Such a light and creamy creation! The name of this recipe does not give it the glory it deserves. My menu consisted of:
Green Chili Enchiladas
Red Chili Enchiladas
refried bean
spanish rice
white rice
Buttermilk Congealed Salad (from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook)
Buttermilk Congealed Salad
1 8oz. can crushed pineapple, with juice
1 3oz. package orange gelatin
2 cups buttermilk
1 6oz. container whipped topping like cool whip
2 cups chopped pecans
Drain juice from the pineapple into a small saucepan. Add the gelatin, and cook over low heat, stirring until the gelatin is thoroughly dissolved. Cool. Mix the buttermilk and whipped topping. Add pecans, pineapple and gelatin. Pour into mold or casserole dish and refrigerate. Serve when firm. Enjoy!
I will be back later on this week, with a new book and a new recipe!

1 comment:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I"m so glad that my family is not picky at all. My husband scrunches up his nose at certain things but will usually try anything at least once. My kids are great eaters so that makes cooking easy.

That salad looks yummy but the name sounds awful!! I think I would call it Orange Dream or something nice like that...