"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chili with chicken and green chilies

I had a picture of this wonderful chili, which I had made this past weekend, but I somehow deleted the image..........but at least I will share the recipe. With temperatures dipping down below freezing, I made two pots of chili over the weekend. One regular chili, made with the usual store mix, tried and true, and one which neither myself or my family has ever tried. This recipe was passed on to me via email by a dear friend who states that it is such a wonderful hearty meal. One big problem,........ my family are not big Navy bean eaters....and this chili had navy beans in it. However, I made it............. oh, so, so , delicious!!! So much in fact, that my husband even liked it and had a second helping!!
Chili With Chicken And Green Chilies
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 onion, diced
2 tbs. garlic, minced or powder
2 cans of green chilies, chopped
1 pound navy beans, sorted and rinsed
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tbs cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
2 tbs. Masa
In large pot, saute onions and garlic until onions are tender. Add green chilies and beans. Add chicken broth , cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Cook for 1 hour and then add chicken. Cook for another hour or until beans are done. When beans are tender, mix milk and masa together and stir into chili. Cook for another 10 minutes to thicken. Enjoy!

No comments: