"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Blue Willow Inn.........a cooking review

I've done it.........I have made my decision on which cookbook I want to work out of this year.
Watching the move Julie and Julia, inspired me, but also got me to thinking ..........does one ever cook more than a handful of dishes from one cookbook...........or to further ask, does one prepare every recipe from one cookbook? I know I don't. And I don't know why.......cookbooks are tools that should be used all of the time.......I have a wonderful collection of cookbooks, but have only read through most of them....loving them and thinking, I'll make that later......but never do. So I have decided, to choose a cookbook,The Blue Willow Inn, that fits my family's palette and budget. The dishes are more common to my family....with some a little different and intriguing to try. During this period, I will let you know which dishes I am making and what the results were along with interesting history about the Blue Willow Inn and of course a recipe or two. I'm not planning on a daily ritual like the movie shows, but I am planning to make different recipes out of this book to go along with our weekly meals. I will post about these as I go.
Now, how about you? Have you ever cooked your way through a cookbook? If you did, did you enjoy the journey? I would love to hear!
For our New Year Eve party platter, I made the usual treats and appetisers, but once again, the movie made me want to try Bruschetta..................which is now my favorite thing to make. I think I could actually have this for my lunch every day !
Bruschetta
1 lb ripe grape tomatoes, sliced
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 loaf crusty French bread, sliced 3/4 inch thick (or italian)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
Mix tomatoes and basil together and season with salt and pepper.
Set aside.
Fry Bread: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in frying pan and fry bread until golden brown on both side.
Remove and drain on paper towel.
Rub one side with garlic clove.
Drain the tomato-basil mixture of excess liquid and spoon on to each slice of bread.
Top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

Good for you, Kathleen!! I have heard and read about people taking the same challenge after seeing the movie (I haven't seen it yet).
That looks like a good cookbook to use for your adventure!
I look forward to seeing what you make and how it all turns out.... oh, and that bruschetta looks so yummy!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Happy New Year! I have never cooked my way through a cookbook although I do have some I really like. I'm looking forward to seeing what recipes you are going to do. Bruschetta is very yummy! We often make those in the summertime.