"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Angel Biscuits

First, let me explain another obstacle in going through this cooking journey, I have chosen to do. The people I cook for in my family are extremely picky, and at the same time, I must say, I do have one who is willing to at least taste new creations I make. Yet on this note, if it does not look familiar in shape or color, it is hard to convince these picky eaters that what I have made is actually very tasty. So my cooking years have been very challenging and boring if I want to keep everyone fed and happy. So it was not surprising when I fixed these light and fluffy biscuits, that they disappeared as quickly as I made them, without anyone asking....."is this from that cookbook?"
My menu consisted of:
bacon
sliced ham
eggs
sliced fruit
hashbrowns
Angel Biscuits (recipe from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook)
The recipe states that it yields 15 to 20 biscuits...........however, I make large biscuits when I cut them, so I came out with 12 gigantic biscuits........8 of them were eaten!
Angel Biscuits
1 pck. active dry yeast
2 tsp. warm water (110)F.
4 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
Preheat oven to 475.F. Sprinkle yeast into the warm water in a small bowl. Stir and give the yeast time to get frothy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.Cut in the shortening. Mix the yeast with the buttermilk and combine with the flour mixture. Add the baking soda. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Place each biscuit on a lightly buttered baking pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
Please stop by tomorrow, as I will be fixing a gelatin salad for our meal.

No comments: