"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, January 11, 2010

13 Years of Taste Of Home

I remember the first time Taste of Home came out. I remember how much my friends and I loved it. At that time, I still lived in town, and I was a mother of 3 very small children and I cooked so much more than I do now, in my very tiny kitchen (which also served as our dining room).

Over the years, I have been given a subscription to Taste Of Home, by one of my dear friends, every year for a Christmas present. I have not thrown any of these issues away.......dating back from 1996. It sounds like a gigantic amount........however, the magazine only has 6 issues a year. I have also been given their wonderful annual cookbook by another dear friend.
One recipe I have always used is this wonderful Potato pancake recipe that came out in the early years of Taste Of Home. Reminiscent of a hash brown patty, but with more flavor, it is wonderful for a breakfast side.........however, it is also wonderful when you want something different from the usual baked and mashed potato.
I fixed this for our after church dinner with my menu of:
Country Fried Chicken
Green Beans
Corn
Tossed Salad
Savory Skillet Rolls
Potato Pancakes...Taste Of Home Recipe


Mom's Potato Pancakes
4 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 4 large)
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 tbs. flour
1 tbs. grated onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Rinse potatoes in cold water, drain well. Place in a large bowl. Add egg, flour, onion, salt and pepper and mix well. In skillet, heat 1/4 inch veg. oil over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/3 cups into hot oil. Flatten to form a pancake. Fry until golden brown, turn and brown the other side. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately. Enjoy!



1 comment:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I started my subscription to Taste Of Home in 1997 when my oldest was just a toddler. Of course, then later it became Quick Cooking.

i've kept all of the magazines as well. I stopped my subscription last year, realizing that my cookbook cupboard was full of books and magazines.

Did you ever go to any of the Cooking Schools? My mom and I and friends would go every year for a "girls night out". It was fun, but in the last couple of years they changed it a bit. We didn't go this last year.

Those potato pancakes look good. That would be something my family would like.