"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cranberry Orange Bread

The day was cloudy and slightly cool. By the time Sophie and I decided to take our afternoon walk, a steady sprinkling of rain was falling. That did not stop us, however,....... with umbrella in hand, I walked along with Sophie as she stopped to smell each wet plant along the way. Before we took our walk, I pulled out a loaf of Cranberry Orange Bread from the oven, and set it on the table to cool while we were out.

Only slightly damp, we made it back and the wonderful smell of this bread filled the house and greeted us at the back door. I quickly settled down with a cup of coffee and this delicious bread......
and Sophie?
She already found her favorite spot to take a nap.
This bread is wonderful. Here is the recipe.......
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
Grated peel of 1 orange
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg. Add orange juice, peel, butter and hot water. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in cranberries and walnuts. Spoon into greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

i love the combo of orange and cranberry together!
do you think it would work to use dried cranberries also?

i thought it was funny that you were going to post zucchini chocolate cake too. i guess i beat ya to it! ha ha

Laura Frantz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Frantz said...

Tomorrow is grocery day in town, 30 miles away, and I'm adding this to my list! Bless you, Kathleen. Wish I could whip up a Sophie, too:)

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kathleen,
I love cranberries and this bread sounds really delicious. I look forward to trying this recipe. I hope you have a blessed week.

Conni said...

This sounds very yummy! Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes you post!