"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tantalizing Flatbread

One of my blogging friends was asking if I had a good pizza dough recipe. This one I have used for the past 10 years. I have used it as the Parmesan Onion flatbread.....but when I want pizza, I just put pizza sauce on the dough, and then add my favorite toppings and follow the baking instructions. I hope you try it with the onions as well....it is so delicious!
Parmesan-Onion Flatbread
1 envelope of active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105.F.)
2 tbs. honey, divided
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
3 cups bread flour
1 tbs. butter
3 large onion thinly sliced
1 tbs. minced garlic
1 tbs. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine yeast, 1 cup water, and 1 tbs. honey in a 2 cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes
Combine yeast mixture, remaining tbs honey, oil and 1 tsp. salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in 2 cups flour, beat at medium speed. Let rest 5 minutes, add remaining flour beating at low speed until well blended.
Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and knead well. Place in a well greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place 45 minutes.
Punch dough down and turn out onto a well greased 15x10 jelly roll pan....or if making pizza, a large pizza pan. Let rise 15 minutes or just until it begins to puff.
Melt butter in a large skillet; add onion and garlic and saute' until tender. Stir in remaining salt, Italian seasoning, and red pepper. Spoon mixture over dough.
Bake at 425 F. for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and bake 5 more minutes. Cut into squares, serve immediately. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Mmm, that does look good. I'll file that one away!

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Your flatbread looks so yummy. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Irma:)