"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Authentic Flour Tortillas

Everyone has their "quirks" right?
Those little weird things we do that set us apart from everyone else. My quirk?
I love to READ cook books. I don't mean just browsing through until I see a great picture and a great recipe.....I really read the whole thing through. I am always on the lookout for cookbooks that have added stories of family and friends.....and why the recipe was so good! Do any of you do this? One book I just love and read often is this book.....Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cook Book.
A dear friend, who knows just about all of my weird quirks in life, gave this to me, knowing I would sit down and pour over every page as if it were the latest romance novel. This book is wonderful.....full of history on the origins of the foods we are familiar with.....


and ones that we may not have ever tried.....but can because of the recipes provided.

Living in West Texas and not too far from the Mexican border, there is a type of food we are all accustomed with....Tex Mex. It is a variety of wonderful spicy Mexican influenced foods. One thing my son loves for me to do is to make flour tortillas. The recipe in the book is a true tortilla recipe. As you will notice, it calls for .....lard. That's right, that awful nasty greasy stuff that was used way, way, back by Grandmother and Auntie. However, it is important to use it for these. You can still purchase lard in almost any store. I have used vegetable shortening when I don't have lard........however, the tortillas come out stiff and cracker like. If you use lard...they come out thick and soft and just like the authentic tortillas you purchase. If you ever get a chance to read this cook book.....please do! It is full of the most interesting stories and recipes!
Flour Tortillas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbs. lard
1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water (110.F)
In mixing bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in lard till the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add 1/2 cup of warm water and mix till dough can be gathered into a ball. (If needed, add extra water, 1 tbs full at a time.) Let dough rest 15 minutes. Divide dough into 12 portions. Shape into 1-inch balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball to a 7 inch circle. Trim uneven edges to make a round tortilla. Cook in un-greased skillet over medium heat till lightly browned. Serve hot with butter. Enjoy!




5 comments:

Mildred said...

I have loved collecting cookbooks for years. My family always brings me one from their vacations and we have picked them up in antique and Goodwill stores. We are not supposed to have sugar so I don't do a lot of baking but I sure do love to browse through cookbooks.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kathleen,
I enjoy reading cookbooks and trying new recipies. Great posting. Have a blessed weekend.

Vickie said...

Hi Kathleen - I've gotta try your apple dumplings - they look delish - anything with dough in it I love!

Those are absolutely perfect tortillas. I have a tortilla press, but haven't tried them with lard, just shortening, and you're right about the texture. I'll have to break down and get some lard. In my hometown, we have about 4 Mexican restaurants per person who live here - one on every corner. We LOVE Mexican food around here!

Solange Belém said...

Congratulations.
Me encanta su blog, mucho bonito. Abrazos y felicidades

Sol

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色