"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Homemade Bread EVERYDAY!

My family loves homemade bread. I used to make it the usual way, but not everyday, because it was quite time consuming. Also I had always not been interested in the new bread machines that were coming out.
One year my husband gave me a bread machine for my birthday. I used the mixes it came with, bought a few more, baked the bread in the machine......but was still not satisfied. I experimented and came up with my own recipe and instead of baking it in the machine, I pull the dough out, shape it the way I like and then bake it in the oven. So much more the homemade bread we love and we have it everyday because it is so easy to make.
I just put the machine on the dough cycle,

pour my ingredients into the bread machine, let the machine do all of the kneading, rising and punching down for 1 1/2 hours. When the cycle is finished, pull out the dough, place it on the baking sheets or bread pans, let it rise and then bake at 350. F


and the results are wonderful each time. If you have a bread machine that has been sitting in the closet, give this recipe a try. If you don't have a bread machine, the recipe still makes wonderful yeast bread.
Ingredients
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg yeast
1 tsp. salt
Heat milk and butter in microwave for 1 minute. Pour flour, sugar, yeast, salt, milk, butter, and egg into bread machine. Set machine on dough cycle and let the machine do the work for about 1 1/2 hours or until cycle is finished. Pull out the dough and form into rolls or loaves. Place in greased pans and let rise. Bake at 350F. until golden brown. Brush with melted butter Enjoy!



2 comments:

peggy said...

This is a really good idea...now I have to find a bread machine. I never liked the ones I have had but never thought to try this.

Nancy M. said...

Is it all purpose flour you are using in this recipe or bread flour? I am one of those who has a machine sitting in a cabinet and have never used it. But, your recipe sounds easy enough!