"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Cranberry Orange Scones

The first time I ever tried cranberry orange scones was in a Barnes and Nobles coffee shop. They were so delicious! I was hooked! I researched several recipes and this recipe came out wonderful. So good to serve with a cup of hot coffee!
Cranberry Orange Scones
4 C. flour.............4 t. baking powder
3/4 C. sugar...... 1 t. salt
Grated orange peel from 1 orange
1 C. butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
2 large eggs............. 1/3 C. frozen orange juice
1/3 C. milk................ 1/2-3/4C. fresh or frozen cranberries

Combine dry ingredients plus grated orange peel; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, whisk eggs, orange juice and milk. (Save a couple of tablespoons to brush tops of scones before baking.) Stir into flour mixture, combining until dough is moist. If it is too sticky to handle, add a bit more flour. Mix in the cranberries. Turn dough onto floured work surface; knead a few turns. Divide dough into two balls; pat each into a circle. Cut 6 scones (wedges) from each. Brush with reserved egg mixture. Put on greased cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Keep checking until they are golden brown. Optional glaze: 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon orange juice (concentrated frozen orange juice yields the best flavor). Drizzle over cooled scones. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Childers Corner said...

You made those once when I visited and they were delicious! Now I'm hungry!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

yummmmm.... i wonder if it would work with dried cranberries?

The Gingerbread House said...

I hope it does work with dried cranberries, I'm going to try this recipe...I'd like it with a cup of tea in the afternoon to give me strength to make dinner :o) Ginny

Kathleen from Eggs In My Pocket and Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Eveyone...hi..yes.. dried cranberries are perfect for this. Maybe just soak them a little then add. blessings,Kathleen

Michelle said...

I must make these tonight. Simple as that. :)

nAncY said...

sounds...and looks...very good.

Sand Flat Farm said...

These look great. I love scones - will have to try them!

Dani said...

these look so good...my husband was just saying he wanted some raisin orange muffins, I think he'd like these just as well, but I will have to tweak it a little as he is diabetic..thanks!

Dani said...

I made these over the last weekend and boy! they were so so good...I am craving one right now...I didn't have any cranberries so used raisins and finely chopped walnuts with the orange jest and made an orange glaze...excellent!

Emilym21 said...

I really love the ones from Barnes and Noble and was looking for a recipe to make them myself. My Aunt Dani pointed me here. Thank you.