"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hearty Split Pea Soup

I received this wonderful cookbook as a Christmas present from a dear friend. I love soups and I love Taste of Home magazines and cookbooks!
This book is full of wonderful soups, chilies, chowders and mixes. I will be sharing quite a few especially during this cold winter weather.
This split pea soup is so wonderful. (the soup is a pretty green, I just do not take pictures well...sorry.{: ) It will warm you up on the coldest of days!
1 bag (1 pound) dry split peas
8 cups water
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups cooked ham
1/2 cup chopped celery
5 tsps. chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
In a dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Lisa said...

yum... sounds good! I love homemade soup, everyone if my family eats it well.
I'm a fellow Taste of Home fan too.

Mildred said...

This sounds so good to me. I've been a little under the weather and this might just be what I need. Thanks!

Childers Corner said...

I love Split Pea Soup and I can't wait to try this!

Miss Linda said...

I just love split pea soup. I am going to have to try this wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing it!

Tami said...

I bet that cookbook is great!