"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Poor Man's Cobbler

Sometimes one can be fortunate enough to have a local newspaper that prints recipes from local citizens. This recipe came from such a source. It was given to me by a friend who discovered it in the local newspaper and it has been a favorite I have baked for years. It is such an easy recipe to fix and turns out so moist and delicious. Today I have company coming! Friends I have not seen in years are traveling down to visit. So I have to make this dessert.
The recipe says to make this in a pan and to melt one stick of butter in a pan. I, however, on occasion, make it in individual bowls because I can use different fruit variations to suit different tastes. I melt the stick of butter and then divide it evenly into the bowls. They turn out so pretty and I place a scoop I whipped cream on each bowl after they are baked and ready to be eaten. So here is the recipe......

Today I am making peach and peach/blackberry cobbler. Any fruit can be used.
One large can sliced peaches, and one cup frozen blackberries.
Mix together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt in a bowl.
Mix 3/4 cup milk into flour mixture until well combined.

Melt one stick of butter in a bowl and then divide evenly into baking bowls.

Spoon batter on top of butter evenly into bowls. Do not mix or stir.

Place desired fruit or fruit mixtures into bowls. I place about 5 peach slices into the peach bowls and
I place about 4 peaches and 5 blackberries into the peach/blackberry bowls. Do not stir or mix fruit!!
I sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and sugar. I also place the bowls onto a large cookie sheet.

Bake 30-40 minutes in a 400.F oven. The batter rises to the top and mixes everything by itself. Serve warm with a scoop of whipped topping. Enjoy!
Note: If you want to use a pan, I use a 13 x 9 baking pan. Just pour all ingredients into it as the recipe says without mixing the butter, batter or fruit.











4 comments:

Linda said...

Yumers. I like the idea of the individual bowls too. Thank you for another great recipe. Hugs, Linda

Daisy said...

MMMMM! That looks delicious, Kathleen! Now I am soooo hungry! :D

Looks like one I need to try.

Lea of Farmhouse*Blessings said...

The combination of peaches and blackberries sounds wonderful! Love those little individual cups to make it extra special!

Smiles,
Lea

Darlene said...

I just found your blog from someone else's. I had to copy this recipe as it looks DELISH!!! The individual cups look great!! Thanks for sharing!!