"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Monday, June 9, 2008

Fried green tomatoes

June 13th, 2008, Important Note!... As Linda stated in her comment on this recipe, there has been a terrible outbreak of salmonella in tomatoes. Please be extremely careful when choosing tomatoes at this time to eat! Mine are home raised and garden fresh. Try to find a local source if possible. Thank you every one for your sweet comments, blessings, Kathleen
And for Stacey, I am so glad you got to come out and share the day! What a treasured time! And Ryan, thank you for at least trying the fried green tomatoes, even though it was a weird and strange tasting experience for you! Chocolate cake instead the next time? love ya, (Kathy)
The time has finally arrived! The tomato plants are full of green tomatoes. I have friends coming over tomorrow and I will be fixing these as one of the side dishes to go along with the meal I am preparing. So here is the recipe to one of the best vegetable dishes ever!
Select green tomatoes that are firm and about the size of a tennis ball.
Scrub tomatoes clean and then slice .Sprinkle to season with garlic powder and salt, lightly.
Combine 1 cup cornmeal with 1 cup flour in a dish.
In separate dish, beat one egg into 3/4 cup milk.
Roll sliced tomatoes in flour/cornmeal mixture.

Then roll in egg/milk mixture.
Then once more into flour/cornmeal mixture.

Fry in hot vegetable oil in heavy skillet until golden brown on both sides.
Drain on paper towel and serve hot with ranch dressing on the side.
Note: these tomatoes hold heat, so be careful not to scald your mouth when you take a bite. Enjoy!









5 comments:

shirl said...

I've not ever tried fried green tomatoes, but I think I will give them a try as soon as they come in the garden! Looks like some great recipes here. Martha Stewarts cookie book looks great too! I might have to pick that up!
Blessings, Shirl

Conni said...

Well, my mouth is watering... thanks for the recipe!

staceyc1999 said...

And they were every bit as delicious as they look! Thank you, Kathy!
Stacey

Linda said...

Your tomatoes are just beatuiful. What a yummy dish...my mouth is watering. Thank you for the recipe.

Have you heard of the problem with our tomatoes in Calif? There is a salmonella problem...so we're not to buy red tomatoes and I'm not sure about the green. As soon as I'm able I will be trying this yummy dish.
I love your recipes! Hugs, Linda

LindaSueBuhl said...

I am SO drooling here! We are dying (I mean dieting) around this household so fried foods are a nono - may have to save up some calories and get at least one good batch in this summer