"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chili Reinos ( the way my sweetie likes them)

We love Mexican food, and I love making Mexican dishes. I have a wonderful cookbook that a sweet friend gave me with some of the best Tex-Mex recipes in it. I will blog on it next. However, I don't always follow a recipe because my sweetie is a very picky eater. He doesn't like onions or tomatoes. He likes enchiladas with green sauce instead of red. So to make him like chili reinos better, I make them with green sauce. And they are very plain with only ground beef and cheddar cheese for the filling. You can add what you like best to suit your own taste. However, this is a really great tasting dish.
I purchase one can of this green sauce for this recipe. It is wonderful. Brown 1 lb. of ground beef in skillet. Grate cheddar cheese to mix with ground beef.

I purchase about 6 of these large Anaheim peppers for the reinos. Make sure they are firm and have no spots. Wash them well.

Oh, don't look at my dirty stove!! Place the peppers into hot vegetable oil to loosen their skins. This only takes a few seconds each pepper.After the peppers skins are golden and crinkled, drain them on a paper towel and let them cool slightly.

The peppers are easy to peel. Peel all of the skin off.


The peppers will look like this.

Carefully slit open the pepper to remove the seeds inside, keeping the stem intact.

Roll the pepper in flour.

Then roll the pepper into egg and milk mixture. Then roll pepper in flour again.

Fry peppers in vegetable oil until light golden brown.


Drain and cool slightly.

Mix 1/4 cup evaporated cream into the green enchilada sauce.

Spoon meat and cheese mixture into each pepper and place side by side in large baking dish.
Poor green sauce mixture over stuffed peppers.

Bake at 375.F for 30 minutes until bubbly. Enjoy!


















6 comments:

Jane Smith said...

That looks so good. May have to try it.

LindaSueBuhl said...

Kathleen- that looks like MORE! I blister my peppers over a burner but your whole method looks just delicious - we are onion and tomato eaters big time but your hubby is smart to like your chili dish! Yummo

Linda said...

Oh this is so yummy! What time is dinner:)? Hugs, Linda

Conni said...

This looks wonderful! I may have to try it with vegetarian "Crumbles..."

pammiejo said...

I'm going to try this. I have a husband sorta' similar to yours with opinions on tomatoes and onions like that. Makes me hungry looking at the pics and it's early morning! PAM

Say Go Do Fondation said...

I love that you put step by step pictures!!