"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup like Applebee's

I have never been to Applebee's, but for those who have and have had this soup, they tell me it is just like it. However, I used to buy soup mixes in gift shops and found a wonderful mix that tasted just like this.It was costly and soon the shop closed. I then found this recipe which taste just like it. What is even better, it costs much less to make it and it makes a big pot! This is such a warm creamy wonderful soup. It is great served with a salad or even as a starter for a Mexican meal.
1cup chopped yellow onion.........2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbs. veg. oil..........................4 cups chicken stock
1 (15oz.) can tomato puree........1tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt.............................1tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup hot sauce(optional)........1/4 chopped green pepper
1 tbs. minced jalapeno pepper(optional)
1tsp. chili powder......................1/4 tsp. pepper
4 tbs. flour mixed with 1/2 cup water
1 lb.cooked chicken, cubed..........1cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
8 oz. Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
(10) 6" corn tortillas cut into strips
Saute onion and garlic in vegetable oil in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.Add next 10 ingredients to pot, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crisp. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Whisk flour/water mixture into soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken, cream, sour cream, and cheese. Stir until melted. Pour into soup bowls and place tortilla strips on top. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, this does look yummy! I think I'm going to serve this at one of our stitch alongs. Another great recipe....thank you. Hugs, Linda

Farm Chick Paula said...

Mmmmm this sounds good, Kathleen! I'm glad I found this... I'm making out my grocery list this morning. ( I buy groceries twice a month so I have to plan 2 weeks worth of meals)
I LOVE cheese soup!