"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mexican Cornbread







This recipe was given to me over 20 years ago and I still make it. It is wonderful with a bowl of soup, enchiladas, or to go along with a pot of red beans.This weekend I made it to go along with a pot of Taco Soup. It was a filling delicious meal. And no, there is no flour, no baking powder....... the buttermilk takes care of all that. Just a wonderful hearty cornbread.




1 cup cornmeal...........................1 cup corn
2 eggs, slightly beaten..................1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt..................................3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup veg. oil.........................1 small diced onion
1 small can chopped green chilies......1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350.F. Place well greased iron skillet into oven while mixing cornbread batter. ( This makes a good outside crust) Mix all ingredients until well blended. Carefully remove hot skillet and pour batter into it. Bake about an hour until center feels done. Enjoy!

3 comments:

LindaSueBuhl said...

Sounds delicious - nothing like green chilies to make life a bit perkier!

Linda said...

I love taco soup and cornbread is just what I need to go with it. Your recipe looks delish...one more for my file. Hugs, Linda

Pam said...

Oh, oh, oh....this is absolutely one of my favorite things in the world. I have never been able to make mexican cornbread, but there is a dear lady at church who makes it....and when we have a dinner, I do make a bee-line to that plate!
Just seeing that pic makes me hungry!!
Thank you for the recipe....I may have to give this another try soon.