"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

A great cookie recipe from a great cookbook author




The first time I ever heard of Jane Watson Hopping was when I found one of her cookbooks in the store. What caught my attention was the cover first, and then the title, " The Pioneer Lady's Hearty Winter Cookbook".She is known as The Pioneer Lady. She is my top of the list favorite when it comes to reading the stories in cookbooks. This is the 6th cookbook she has written. It is filled with real stories of winters past along with antique family photos, poems and hymns. After reading through it and then trying the wonderful recipes, I was hooked. I then proceeded to find a way to get her previous cookbooks, which I found were no longer in print. I spent a year of researching and emailing and was able to obtain all of her cookbooks and each one is filled with the wonderful stories and photos. A couple of years ago, I wanted to see if maybe she would be publishing another cookbook, and found, sadly, where she had passed away. She had finished an upcoming book, but it has not yet been published and at the time of her death, she was working on a cookbook covering the recipes from the depression era. If you ever have a chance to find one of her books, take time to read it. They are certainly treasures. The following cookie recipe is from the book I have just mentioned. I have made these cookies on many occasions. They are delicious and get eaten up quickly.


Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies


3 1/2 cups flour................2 cups firmly packed brown sugar


1 tsp baking soda..............3 eggs


1 tsp. cream of tarter........1 tsp. vanilla


1 tsp. salt.......................1 cup finely chopped walnut (optional)


1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened at room temperature


Sift flour with soda, cream of tarter, and salt. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and stir to incorporate. Then stir the flour mixture gradually into the sugar mixture. Fold in nuts. Shape dough into oblong rolls, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator until firm, an hour or more. About 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400.F. When the dough is firm , remove from refrigerator and slice 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Bake until firm to the touch and lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool. When thoroughly cool, store in airtight container. These are great to freeze in containers.Enjoy!


6 comments:

Drew Kime said...

I always go for the old cookbooks like that, when the recipes where about what tasted good instead of what was on the latest trendy diet.

I'm definitely going to be using that cookie recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Drew
How To Cook Like Your Grandmother

Linda said...

What great cookbooks, I'm happy you were able to find all her books.
I like this recipe and will be adding it to my file. Just reading it made me want to try a cookie:). Thanks, Linda

Farm Chick Paula said...

Wow- what a collection! I'll bet those are some really neat books, Kathleen... the title would have intrigued me, too!

Kathleen Valentine said...

I'm so glad you found my blog which lead me to finding yours. I LOVE old cookbooks and have many of them What a wonderful blog you have here.

Best regards,
Kathleen

Lea of Farmhouse*Blessings said...

What a wonderful set of books! Sounds like something I would truly enjoy. I'll have to begin searching for them as well.

So glad you shared this with us!

Blessings,
Lea

Lea of Farmhouse*Blessings said...

Hurray! I just ordered my first Jane Watson Hopping book from Amazon. I can hardly wait to get it.

Blessings,
Lea