"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Depression Era Cookbook


I just received this cookbook a few days ago and have been "reading it" . It has been one I have been interested in for many years, and just now acquired it. I read about Vern Berry in a magazine, either Southern Living or Country Living perhaps? ....several years ago (middle 90's). I had searched for her cookbook then, but living in a small town and being a busy mother, I never seemed to finish my quest. The first 55 pages are such a good read,.... a story of her pioneer great -grandparents traveling on a wagon and all the way to her story of being a young housewife in the Depression era. Many of these recipes are very old, such as Poor Man's Cake and Blueberry Buckle, and Sour Cream Cakes, which by the way, she won a trip to New York in 1950 for entering in the Pillsbury Bake-off contest. Her father was a professional baker, and she has gone on to win many prizes and had turned out to be quite a writer. It says that she was born in 1906 and I haven't done my research to see if she is still alive. I haven't finished the book yet, it is filled with down home recipes with ingredients that are commonly in our pantries. For me so far, a really good addition to my collection.

1 comment:

Linda said...

This looks like a wonderful cookbook...I'd like to find it for my collection. Love the new header. Have a happy day...hugs, Linda