"At my table, sit with me. I'll pour coffee or some tea. Perhaps we'll share our tears and laughter, and be friends forever after.


Welcome! Come on in, pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee and take a look at recipes from different cookbooks, vintage finds from vintage cupboards and enjoy sharing memories.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Betty Crocker Cookbook/ Baking Powder Biscuits


While I was in high school, I was fortunate enough not only to have home economics class, but a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Ellis, who not only taught by the book, but also by letting us cook. She was always giving cookbooks as gifts . When graduation came she gave the most appropriate gift.... a Betty Crocker Cookbook. This book went to college with me, to my first "living in my own apartment time" , where it was hardly used at all. Then along came married bliss and I spent my days pouring over the pages wanting to impress my new husband with a new dish each night.The book now after 25 years, is worn, stained, wrote in, and still enjoyed. What I like about this book the most, is it has basic recipes that are easy to follow and requires the common ingredients usually in the cupboard. One of the recipes I use most, is the Baking Powder Biscuits. It can be used as a basic biscuit mix but can be forgiving enough to let you throw in a few extras to change it up. This has been our main breakfast biscuit, wonderful when the recipe is doubled to make extra large biscuits for ham and biscuit suppers. I also add extra milk and cheddar cheese at times to copy those wonderful biscuits from Red Lobster. A simple biscuit with hearty results.

1/3 cup shortening.................1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder.........3/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk........................2 tbs. sugar (optional)

Heat oven to 450.F . Cut shortening into flour, baking powder and salt with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk so dough leaves side of bowl and rounds up into a ball. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly . Roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Another yummy recipe. I just realized I don't have a BC cookbook. I'm going to look for an older one for my collection and to use too:).
Have a wonderful weekend...enjoy. Hugs, Linda

S.Bell said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. My parents cooked from a betty crocker cookbook when i was growing up ,but now as I live in England Betty Crocker is almost as rare as Biscuits. :)

Andrea's Garden said...

Thanks for posting that! Even though I am German, I love my Betty Crocker Cookbook which I bought over 20 years ago when I lived in the U.S. My boys sort of "grew up" with these recipes.